Flattening Sports Bras 2017
So many of you have been reading our Flattening Sports Bras post from 2012.
Five years later, most of the garments I posted have been sold out. So I've decided to share some up-to-date flattening sports bras! All of these suggestions are based on recommendations from Qwear readers and Autostraddle and they are updated for the best products currently in stock.
Some of these garments are pretty expensive, but the higher quality the longer they will last. It all depends on your budget and personal preference. Ideally you can try them on before buying. If you don't want to buy it in the store (on account of privacy issues, or whatever reason) you can always try in on in the store and then purchase online. Or if you prefer, you can just purchase online, try on at home, and then return if you don't like it.
Other Tips/ Safety
Qwear recognizes that while wearing tight undergarments has some risks involved, it will also improve your mental health if you have body dysphoria. Finding the balance between your mental health and physical safety is something only you can decide on. We hope these safety tips will help inform you on the best decision for your overall health:
1. Try getting a size too small, but make sure you are still able to take a deep breath while wearing it.
2. Some people like to wear two sports bras, but this isn't super effective and can be dangerous for your lungs and ribs. Instead, I recommend shopping around for the best garment that will flatten on its own. Li commented on Autostraddle’s post: “Two sports bras is not effective for reducing bounce and side-to-side motion (which a good sports bra will do), and it also makes it more difficult to breathe because your chest is constricted.”
3. If you have a doctor you are comfortable with and you are concerned that it might be too tight, show them your garment and get their opinion.
4. If after wearing it for a certain period it starts to hurt or you find it hard to breathe, remove it. You can always carry around a loser one if this happens.
5. Ideally you should only wear a tight garment like this for no more than 10 hours a day.