Contrary to popular belief, not all queers have short hair. Last time we tackled short curls, but it’s time to show some love for long curly tresses. We’ve had plenty of questions about how to style long curls, especially from folks who still want an androgynous look. If you have long curly hair, you’ve got some stories. We feel ya.
Here are some androgynous updos we love:
Here are some other fabulous styles you can rock!
Long flowing tresses can be dapper too! Check A.D. out at Ex-Southern Belle.
Favorite Curly-Hair Products
For many of us curly-hair queers, finding the right product for our curls is ESSENTIAL and yet SO DIFFICULT. Whyyyyy??!!
We’re gonna help take some of the work out of it for you! The polls are in, and some of our lovely comrades have voted for some of their favorite curly-hair products. The products most widely beloved were the ones that come from companies that specifically cater to curly hair, such as Deva Curl and Miss Jessie’s. Other popular suggestions were natural products such as coconut oil and jojoba oil. The most common recommendation, though? Not using shampoo! So use this great excuse to save water, folks — shampoo is terrible for most curly hair and you just don’t need it!
To better understand our suggestions below, we suggest that you learn more about what type of curls you have from a Hairguide (like this one from Naturally Curly).
Have a favorite, magical product that’s not listed here? Tell us about it! We especially love to hear about more products, especially on the cheaper end!
- There was a lot of love for the Deva Curl 3-step system, suggested by and for people with all types of curls!
- Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue was suggested by a 2c, but Miss Jessie’s products cover all ends of the curl spectrum, and seem to cater especially well to type 4 hair. (Bonus: If you don’t mind putting in credit card info, you can have two entirely free samples mailed to you!)
- We had many votes for the strong hold of Garnier Fructis products. Fructis Style Pure Clean Finishing Paste and Curl Construct Mousse were especially loved by our type 3s.
- For some great frizz control, a 3B opts for Frizz-Ease Secret Weapon Flawless Finishing Crème.
- We had a couple thumbs ups for Tigi products, specifically Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier for Type 2 hair.
- One 3B suggested a conditioner and styling product duo: Kinky Curly Knot Today conditioner and Curling Custard.
- Jojoba oil was suggested as a great care product for all types that are dry, damaged, or prone to tangling.
- Two friends with quite different curls- 2B-C and 4C suggested using coconut oil before shampooing as a great way to take good care of their curls. Seems that many folks agree!
- The same 4C also recommended Curls Unleashed for shampooing and Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk products for styling.
- Aveda’s Be Curly and Bumble and Bumble’s Curl Conscious were both touted as whole collections to check out.
- Murray’s Original Pomade all the way for pomps, spikes, fros, rows, and (yes) even facial hair! There’s a reason it’s a classic.
- We also had one awesome person suggest lube. Sounds pretty good to us.